Dr. Brene Brown on empathy
- Empathy fuels connection. Sympathy fuels disconnection.
- Elements of empathy: Perspective-taking, staying out of judgment, recognizing emotion in other people, communicating that.
- In order to connect with you, I have to connect with something in me that knows that feeling.
- When someone shares something difficult, we tend to “silver lining” it.
- Rarely, if ever, does an empathic response start with, “At least . . .”
- Rarely can a response make something better. What makes something better is connection.